Saturday, June 11, 2011

Achievement Unlocked!

If I had a bucket list (which I don't) I don't really think a triathalon of any distance would have been on it.  It's probably safe to say nothing particularly physical would have been on it.  And yet, today I found myself doing a super sprint triathalon organized by a co-worker.

The course: 300 yard swim, ~8 mile bike, ~2 mile run.

As we drove into the neighborhood, part of which the bike and run would cover, I mentally and verbally cursed the hills on which we drove.

The contestants: Mostly co-workers, of varying athletic ability.  Three did the event as a relay with the runner being the wife of a co-worker.  The non-coworkers in the group consisted of spouses of co-workers and kids of co-workers.  By the way, one of the spouses is a big runner and has even competed in a full-length Ironman Triathalon.  His wife (my co-worker) also does a lot of running and biking and does shorter triathalons.

As predicted, the swim was my weakest event.  I don't have a stroke.  At all.  I ended up resorting to a modified backstroke.  I was out of the pool last.  By a lot.  At least I didn't drown :-)

Now the bike.  My legs were shaky coming out of the pool.  By the time I got on the bike, the shaking had stopped.  And off I went.  And as anticipated, the hills sucked.  Big time.  At some point as I was on my bike, I saw tri-guy running on the back half of the run.  No big shocker.  I managed to stay on my bike almost all the way through the course.  I did have to get off my bike and push it on the last big hill.  But I got back on and rode it in.  I think everyone was done by that point (boy the swim killed me), but I still had the run to go.

More jelly legs.  Now, if all I had to do today was run, it would have been NO problem.  Today, I had to run following the large, un-trained challenges of swimming and running.  So I walked the first half of the race course.  On the way back, I mostly ran slowly aside from a couple of hills, which I walked.  But I ran it in from the last turn until the end.

I did it!  Dead last!  (By the way, the kids in the race did not do the full distances, so I don't feel bad losing to them.)  But I knew before I started I wasn't going to win it.  Or come in second.  Or third.  I'm going to hurt tomorrow, but I already have a massage scheduled.  And I'm going to try to go out and do a light walk/run tomorrow to work out the kinks and set my self up properly for the week.

After a fabulous cookout and awards ceremony (I won the 33 yo division!  And I'm not even 33 yo! (Everyone had a division of one :-))), we all went for a dip in the pool.

What are the stats?  I think I finished in a little over 2 hours.  I don't remember the exact time, which wasn't really the point. Finishing was.  The run took me 30 minutes and a distance of ~2.3 miles.  The temperature was tolerable.

What have I learned?  If I ever want to do a triathalon again (especially something other than the Tin Man), I should probably do some swimming lessons.  And I need to do some more biking, but that's already on the list.  Gatorade is terrible.  It is just too sweet, full-sugar or artificial sweetener.

What's next?  I still have two more weeks of my running program left.  After that, I'm going to start alternating running days with biking days.  I need to get my biking legs for the MS Cox Atlanta ride at Callaway Gardens in September.  You can still donate here: www.causeofcarol.com.  Click through to the Callaway Gardens team and click my name there.  We've got a great team.

After that?  I have some thoughts.  Nothing solid   But I like having goals.  Good motivation.

Thank you so much to my family for all of their support!  Both in my general running plan and for the Tin Man.  It means a lot to me.

And thank you to all those who have given my positive feedback, both in person and written.  I don't necessarily think what I'm doing is inspiration-worthy and that certainly isn't why I do it.  I feel I've come a long way since I started.  And while I hoped to do better today, I realize that I didn't do anything to prepare for the swim or the bike.  Ten weeks ago, I know I wouldn't have been able to run for 20 minutes straight and wouldn't have even contemplated doing a triathalon.  And now I can run for 20 minutes and have done a triathalon.  So I know I'll be able to do the Callaway Gardens ride in September because I'm going to start training for that in a couple of weeks.

Onward and upward!